The overarching aim of the project is higher education curriculum development to produce professionals who are equipped to improve the liveability of urban and provisional areas in the partner country. This will be achieved through delivering an enhanced curriculum and new didactic practices for LBS and ITS in all four Sri Lankan universities. The benefit will be to achieve safer, more reliable, more comfortable, more environment-friendly and energy-efficient integrated multimodal transportation solutions at regional level with direct impact on the economy and the society. In effect, the project will address the knowledge gap among transport engineers & transport planners, town planners, surveying engineers and ICT engineers through synergies.
Accordingly, the specific objectives of the LBS2ITS project are as follows:
- to establish a regional cooperation network in LBS to ITS education,
- to modernize existing and develop new LBS and smart transportation course modules,
- to train teachers through focused training courses on the project theme,
- to modernize equipment including digital resource kits for student interaction,
- to introduce Problem-based Learning (PBL) pedagogy and e-learning tools,
- to strengthen the interaction and promote collaboration between HEIs and stakeholders in the field,
- to enhance outreach and broaden the employability opportunities of students at international markets,
- to implement quality assurance procedures in LBS to ITS education.